Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Glee - Night of Neglect

So, I was really excited for the return of Glee last night.  As always, it was hilarious and entertaining and also had some incredibly sweet moments.  There are many reasons why I really liked last night's show.


Firstly: Gwyneth Paltrow's final episode was fantastic.  Her characterization of the allegedly hermaphroditic Nazi Sympathizer Wallace Simpson, (the woman who for whom King Edward IV to abdicate the British Throne) was brilliant.  And, as much as I like Gwyneth Paltrow, I was SUPER GLAD that she only sang one song during this show.  I love when awesome guest stars come on the show, but their musical/singing talent should NEVER steal the spotlight from the existing cast.  (And sometimes it does, as in the case of "Sexy" when Gwyneth sang lead in 3 songs).

Secondly: Thank You, Ryan Murphy, for not giving Rachel the episode-ending solo.  I love Lea Michele's voice.  She's a fantastically gifted performer, but hearing her week in and week out gets tiring.  This week Mercedes brought the house down with her Aretha tribute, and it was amazing.  Like that time she sang socks off "And I Am Telling You" in the first half of Season One.  As Oliver Twist would say, "Please, sir, I want some more."

Thirdly: Blaine was in an episode and didn't have a solo.  Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm a little tired of him being front and center all the time.  I love the character and Darren Criss is undoubtedly talented, but the powers that be have sort of turned him into the female version of Rachel.  And I agree with Kurt's statement in the "Original Song" episode stating that it's become a little like "Blaine and the Pips."

Fourthly: CHARICE!  Sunshine Corazon is back, and she KILLED "All By Myself."  Such an amazing talent.  I have missed her since her appearance in "Audition," singing "Telephone" with Lea Michele and then belting out "Listen" for her audition.  So glad she's back.

Fifthly: The Brainiacs, and the fact that Brittany was the biggest contributor during the competition.  "Feline Aids."  I mean, seriously, it's awesome.  And then the final question of the championship competition being "Hermaphrodite Nazi Sympathizers" was brilliant.  Love it.

Sixthly: Welcome Back WEMMA.  I don't know anyone who isn't a Will/Emma fan.  As much as I enjoy seeing John Stamos on my TV screen, I've been itching for more Will and Emma interaction.  The way he sweetly cleaned off her grape was beautiful.  So sweet.

Lastly: Santana has a heart!  Of all the people in the glee club, or in the school for that matter, to stand up to Karofsky and defend Kurt and Blaine, Santana might just be the last person I'd expect.  Of course, I understand that she sympathizes with Klaine because she's "realized" she's gay...and there's some kind of kindred spirit business there, but really, it's so out of her character to protect people.  She's usually the one doing the bullying.  It was nice to see the compassionate side of her character shine through.

************************

All that being said, there are also a few bones I have to pick with Glee this season.

Firstly: Where was Terri?  I missed her a lot - she's so good at stirring up trouble.  I realize that the actress has had some personal issues she's had to take care of, which is probably why her screen time has been diminished this year, which is why her return this episode was so exciting to me.  Last night's episode was supposed to be her big return, but she was virtually non-existent.  NOT COOL.  Hopefully, they were just setting up for something huge in the next couple of episodes.  I've missed her CRAZY. 

Secondly: Why is Mr. Schuester incapable of coming up with good ideas on his own.  All of his fundraising ideas are so dumb!  He's an intelligent guy.  He's no idiot.  But for some reason it's as if he has zero common sense.  Last season all his good ideas came from Emma; this season it's been Holly.  And let's not forget how he's mooched concepts from Sue (Power of Madonna) anyone?  I love Mr. Schue, but that part of his characterization is just plain annoying.

Thirdly: in a night of neglected artists/singers, why isn't Quinn performing?  SEriously, she hasn't had a solo since last season's Funk when she sang "It's A Man's World."  She's had some duets, "Lucky" and "(I've Had) The Time of My Life," and she's shared vocals with several people in "Time Warp" and "Marry You," but the girl hasn't sung a solo IN A YEAR!  Sorry, but that's unacceptable.  I mean, even Mike Chang has sung this year, and it was basically a solo...so, we're due for a Quinn song.  Until we get it, I will feel totally ripped off.

Fourthly: I LOVE Jenna Ushkowitz's character of Tina on the show, and I think she's a really fantastic singer.  Some of my favorite songs are songs she has lead vocals on, "Dog Days Are Over," "Proud Mary," and "True Colors."  So, my bone to pick is that the last two times she's had an opportunity to sing, she's dissolved into tears.  First with "My Funny Valentine" and then last night.  On top of that, we've never had a legit "Tina" storyline.  She took the forefront in "Theatricality" last year when she sang lead for "Bad Romance," and there was that little sidestory of her and Artie's romance, but beyond that, zilch. As a fan of the character and the actress, I feel decidedly dissatisfied and wish like crazy that the writers would give Jenna some really good material, instead of just using her as a backdrop one-line, one-note character.  She deserves better. 

***************
Anyway, I really did like last night's episode.  I'm just a little disappointed that some of those folks aren't better utilized.


2 comments:

JM said...

First: I was hugely disappointed in the LACK OF LIFE in the songs! No upbeat tunes at all!

Loved that Santana took on Karofsky.

Want to hear MORE Blaine (sorry - I don't care if he is backed up by 'Pips' -- I love to hear the guy sing)

"Holly" didn't stick to the character she was originally written -- too soft I thought

Yes - Schuster is sort of a joke as far as the common sense goes.... but I did love the grape lunch -- he has a kind heart

Inappropriate maybe -- but I cracked up at the lines by "The Pink Dagger" referencing his new venture - the sale of medicinal marijuana" and the "laundering" of the income. LOL....

One of my favorite lines of the night -- Becky's "Preach!" LOL!

kas said...

Oh, Joni - I can always count on you for good comments.

It was a little disappointing that all the songs were slow, but Mercedes and Sunshine sung the crap out of theirs, so I didn't mind it quite so much.

Santana - her "Right or left. Your choice" was arguably the best line of the entire night.

"You've just been poked" was hilarious. They did give The Pink Dagger some amazing lines.

And yes, Becky is awesome.