Sunday, September 21, 2008

I just think this is so wrong

So, part of my job at work is to come up with designs for our future merchandise. This means I am constantly browsing the web for new ideas, constantly looking for new fonts, new clip art, that sort of thing. Well, I was on a free clip art website the other day, looking for new fonts that I could possibly use for some designs. And I'm scrolling through, and I see these sexually charged "ding" fonts--which are basically pictures that appear when you type (like the wingding font on most PC versions of word). This is a free website; these are free fonts that a child could easily access, and while that child is looking for a really neat font to make a poster for a school project or something of the like, he or she comes across a font that has letters in the shapes of male genitals or pictures of people in the middle of sexual activities or pictures of women making provocative gestures.

I felt absolutely violated and dirty and I cringe at the thought that some innocent child is very likely to come across these depraved pictures. I'm not shocked because I have seen the degradation of society increase exponentially in my lifetime, but I am still quite outraged at the idea. I have two little brothers who are seven and three respectively, and I shudder at the thought that they might be exposed to this one day. Not to mention the fact that my sister is expecting her first child and that child might one day come into contact with kind of base and amoral crap.

The saddest and most enraging part of this is that the people who designed these fonts probably did not take one moment's pause, one second to consider the consequences of their actions. They probably simply thought that letters made out of male genitalia would be funny. Well, I have news for those people, should they ever read this blog: It isn't funny. It is disgusting and terribly, terribly wrong.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, there are all sorts of disturbing things available on the internet to those who accidentally stumble upon them. I wish that sort of thing wasn't there at all, or that there was some better way of filtering it. Unfortunately, I can't think of any way that a web browser could be smart enough to see that a font - of all things! - is innappropriate.

I suppose this is, to some degree, one of the downsides to a society that so strongly protects the freedom of expression.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.