Thursday, December 9, 2010

Brothers

You might think this is a war movie.  It's not.  It's a movie about the effects of war...about the stresses of the choices war presents...about relationships and family and misery and regret and guilt and love and understanding.  It's a movie about surviving the unimaginable.  I like this movie so much that last year when it came out I went and watched it in the theater TWICE.  And I NEVER do that.  But I went once by myself, and once with my good friend, Wendy.  It is superbly directed by Jim Sheridan, and beautifully acted by Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Natalie Portman.  It is definitely the best performance I've ever seen from Tobey, and might be the best thing Natalie has done to date.  And Jake's quiet, subdued performance is just as noteworthy. 

Seriously...watch it.

Rated R for language and violence.

No comments: