Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sam and Sidewalk Chalk

So, Sam spent the night Thursday night because he didn't have school, and I didn't have work. He'd been begging for most of the week, and when he asked Thursday while I was at mom's I said, "Maybe." Of course, with Sam, maybe actually means "yes." so, he immediately set about getting his bag packed. I had actually anticipated him asking and was prepared to invite him if he didn't ask, so, even though I said "maybe", the answer was always giong to be "yes." Anyway, when Sam spends the night, we always do fun things. Sometimes we break out Jenga or coloring books. Sometimes we watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons. Sometimes we play the Wii or my Super Nintendo. (Yes, I said Super Nintendo.) But there are a few things that we ALWAYS do, and they both involve sidewalk chalk. The first, which i don't have pictures of, is that I draw a target on the side of the duplex, and we throw a raquetball at the target. each ring is a different color, and the chalk comes off the wall onto the ball and we can see if we got a bullseye or one of the other rings. The other thing we always do is cover my driveway with chalk drawings. This time, Sam insisted on us tracing each other's outlines...as you will see below.
This is an outline of me that he did. you can see that my head and left arm are unfinished, as well as my left leg. what you may also see is that he made a "hole" in the groin area of my body once i stood up. Now, the explanation to this is very funny. in an outline before this one he'd crossed his right foot over his left knee, so, to get an appropriate outline, i drew the empty space between his legs. Apparently, after that he thought that every outline had to have an empty space between the legs. Thus...the "hole."
Another "hole." this one much more easily distinguishable than the last.
Sam at work on our driveway full of outlines.


Sam next to an outline he made of me. You will see that he gave me hair and a strange, disproportionate face. Sam next to one of his outlines. you can see my appropriate hole between his feet, which led to all future holes in my outlines.

And Sam with another of his outlines. i tried to get him perfectly positioned, but, well, he's five. this was close enough.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

that is too precious! I love it, and the "holes" make it even better :) I remember being a kid and making whole towns on my friend's driveway with sidewalk chalk. My mom never let us use it on ours cause it was "trashy".